Officina Imperia – Resilient Imperia Architectural and landscape projects for urban and environmental regeneration
Imperia is tested as a relevant case-study of urban and economic stagnation – a scenario that is common to many Italian and European towns that are currently facing complex challenges in redefining themselves as sustainable and resilient urban/economic environments after having been affected by economic depression over the last few years. The envisaged design investigations entail in particular the following operative strategies:
– reuse/reprogramming of existing disused industrial spaces and infrastructures, and/or left-over open spaces, also including the relocation of the existing railway line;
– re-landscaping and re-vegetation of existing open spaces;
– consolidation and reprogramming of left-over and incomplete spaces and buildings.
Officina Imperia design laboratory is part of a larger and extended international partnership between RMIT University, Polimi-Milan Polytechnic, Imperia Confindustria and Imperia Council, with the patronage of the Italian Institute of Architects. It includes international partnered design studios, as well as exhibitions, presentations and publication of the laboratory outcomes.
1. Exhibition and public workshop at the 15th International Architecture Exhibition Reporting From the Front, La Biennale di Venezia, July 2016
Presentations by RMIT staff (Mauro Baracco, Tom Holbrook), Milan Polytechnic staff (Gennaro Postiglione, ), Milan Polytechnic students, and government partner: Imperia Council
2. Exhibition and Symposium at Imperia, 18-27 November 2016.
Presentations by RMIT staff (Mauro Baracco, Jonathan Ware, Tom Holbrook), Milan Polytechnic (Alessandra Oppio, Francesco Lenzini), industry partner Confindustria Imperia (Alberto Alberti), government partner Imperia Council (Carlo Capacci, Imperia Major), and national president of Italian Confindustria Vincenzo Boccia
- Officina Imperia at Venice Biennale-media preview_July 2016
- Officina Imperia program_Imperia November 2016
- Imperia Post – CINQUANTA STUDENTI SBARCANO IN CITTA’ DA MILANO E DALL’AUSTRALIA PER DAR VITA A “OFFICINA IMPERIA”/ECCO DI COSA SI TRATTA
- Imperia Post – “OFFICINA IMPERIA”. LE MIGLIORI GIOVANI MENTI INTERNAZIONALI A SERVIZIO DEL PROGETTO DI RINASCITA DEL TERRITORIO
- Imperia Post – “OFFICINA IMPERIA”. GLI STUDENTI HANNO INIZIATO A ESPLORARE LA CITTA’. AL VIA LE RIUNIONI OPERATIVE AL SOGGIORNO SAN GIUSEPPE/FOTO E VIDEO
- ImperiaTV – L’emittente televisiva della Riviera dei Fiori-1
- ImperiaTV – L’emittente televisiva della Riviera dei Fiori-2
- Sanremo News – Seconda giornata di “Officina Imperia”. Baracco: “Individuare le aree urbanisticamente interessanti” – Quotidiano online della provincia di Imperia